A couple had waited for 10 years for the baby.
Someone is looking for partner to spend the life with.
A young couple can’t wait until the wedding day to come.
A company employee has waited for months for a promotion.
A young girl is waiting anxiously for her boy friend to pick her up.
A child is waiting by the phone everyday hoping it was a phone call from his overseas father…
A CEO is waiting for date of an important business deal.
Almost every one dislike waiting. It give a feeling of uncertainty and despair. The longer the waiting, chance of become despair will be higher also.
It is better if it’s only a five minutes or one hour waiting.
But what about waiting that has lasted for years ….
What should we do during the waiting?
How to make the time run faster?
The bible gives us a lot of waiting example.
- There is Abraham waiting for a heir … and he had been waiting for a century to have one (Gen 21:5 NKJV).
- Hannah is waiting year after year to get a child. (1 Samuel 1:1-20)
- Simeon had been waiting for the Messiah. No records about how long he had been waiting, just an information that he would not die before he met the Messiah. (Luke 2:25-26)
- The apostles were waiting for the Holy Spirit after the ascendant of Jesus. They didn’t know the exact date, they simply followed Jesus order to stay in Jerusalem.(Acts 1:4)
One thing those example tell us is no matter how long the waiting might be … in the end it’s always worth it.
God will not forget His promise. He will never turn to us and say, “I’m sorry, I’ve totally forgotten that I’ve made that promise to you.” No, it’s not like that. Our God is perfect. He will never ever broke His promise.
When I’m waiting, I will;
1. Keep your focus and trust on GOD
God know His plan and timing for us. And it best not to interfere with God works. Remember Abraham try to help God during his waiting period .. and hence he got Ishmael (Genesis 16:1-16).
2. Be Patience
My favourite verse when feel like losing my patience while waiting:
- “But, beloved, do not forget this one thing, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.” (2 Peter 3:8 NKJV).
- “He has made everything beautiful in its time. Also He has put eternity in their hearts, except that no one can find out the work that God does from beginning to end.” (Ecclesiastes 3:11 NKJV)
And remember … no grumbling nor complaining (1 Cor 10:10)
3. Don’t be passive
Being passive here means do nothing. We can’t say since God can do anything, we will stop doing anything and leave it to God. It’s incorrect. A simple example is Isaac will not be born if Abraham and Sara has stopped trying. Maybe both of them started to wonder whether God remember His promise or not … they just never stop trying.
4. Keep on praying
A couple I know, have stop praying because they feel dissapointed. The child they want never come. So they just will stop praying. As we mature in spirit, don’t behave like a kids anymore. Kids often get angry when they don’t get the things they want. Since we are not a kid anymore we should forget that behaviour. And finally, I know, it easier said than done. But still I will said, “Never give up … keep on praying”. Just like Hannah in the old testament.
So next time when you are waiting and get annoy with it… just remember, the bible has examples about what to do when waiting.